My husband and I love to travel and plan for travel, making a few international trips each year and many short hops closer to home.
Through research and experience, I’ve come to prefer personal travel resources over prefab guides, through and through. I’ve all but abandoned guides like Lonely Planet or Fodor’s — which tend to offer more of the same, quickly become out-of-date, and lead to visitors congregating in the same six “must see” spots in a city, driving out the locals in the process.
My research takes the form of asking friends, family and colleagues whom I trust for their latest travel recommendations. It also means subscriptions to pubs like Conde Nast Traveller and Travel + Leisure and visits to online resources like Afar and Fathom. But most often, my research consists of deep reading into others’ personal online travelogues and trip recaps. These are my to-the-minute resources for planning amazing travels, given how quickly cities and countries can change.
Here, you’ll find all my travel resources organized in one place — from the planning stages, to packing a suitcase, to in-depth travelogues and city guides. Something specific you want to see? Let me know!
A step-by-step guide to building a travel itinerary (that you’ll actually use)
Our somewhat-obsessive (but thorough and fun) approach to planning travel. While we’re not as rigorous as we were at the time I penned this post, we still rely on this approach to sketch out our travel plans.
This easy-to-use google doc has been accessed thousands of times. Download it to help plan and shape your own travels with thought and care.
This is the most-accessed post on Some Infinite Thing. And for good reason — it takes the guesswork out of packing a streamlined, light suitcase. Use it and you’ll never check bags again.
We’ve stayed in over a dozen Airbnbs over the past couple years and have developed a fool-proof process for finding a perfect rental each time. (Sign up here for a $40 credit on your first Airbnb stay!)
Travelogues & Start Here! Guides
Travelogues are in-depth and intensive guides based on recent travels. They often are lengthy but provide a ton of detail and local resources and links to help plan your trip.
Start Here! Guides (coming soon!) are shorter posts devoted to other favourite cities. They’re meant to jump-start your planning and feature a handful of current can’t-miss hotels, restaurants, cultural sites, stores, wineries and other wildcards. Consider these a “long weekend in a post.”
Destinations without links denote posts in progress.
- Travelogue: Midcoast Maine
- Start Here! New York, New York
- Start Here! Chicago, Illinois
- Travelogue: Montreal, Quebec
- Start Here! Twenty Valley, Ontario
- Start Here! Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario
- Start Here! Prince Edward County, Ontario
- Start Here! Halifax, Nova Scotia
- Travelogue: Riviera Maya, Mexico
- Start Here! Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
- Travelogue: Reykjavik, Iceland
- Travelogue: Paris, France
- Travelogue: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Travelogue: Costa del Sol/Andalucia, Spain
- Travelogue: Champagne, France
- Start Here! Brussels & Bruges, Belgium
- Start Here! Barcelona, Spain
- An insider’s guide to Athens, Greece
- The Greek Islands: Beyond Santorini & Mykonos
- Visiting Greece: a few helpful Greek phrases to learn
- How to not eat like a tourist in Venice, Italy
- Travelogue: Copenhagen, Denmark and Skane, Sweden
- Travelogue: Stockholm, Sweden
- Travelogue: Oslo, Norway
- Travelogue: Budapest, Hungary
Africa & The Middle East
- Travelogue: Marrakech, Morocco
- Start Here! Tel Aviv, Israel
- Start Here! Jerusalem, Israel
- Start Here! Tokyo, Japan
- Start Here! Seoul, Republic of Korea
South America, Central America & The Caribbean
- Travelogue: Caribbean Coast, Costa Rica
- Travelogue: Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
- Travelogue: Ocho Rios, Jamaica
- Travelogue: Sacred Valley & Machu Picchu, Peru
- Start Here! Bogota, Colombia
- Travelogue: Quito, Ecuador